#359 - Christmas, finally

 



So we finally went Christmas shopping. I had promised Oisin a suit for Christmas. I said I would spend up to £400 on it. I good suit Oisin. You will need one. I think a suit that makes you look smart and gives you confidence. So we decided to go shopping in SD Kells yesterday. A menswear place which sold beautiful suits. Off the peg by still looked great. Well cut. A huge variety. A not too expensive. Just nice. 

To a man his suit is his armour. So we entered the world of men's fashion.

Oisin and Ghin have been blessed with beauty. And spirit. It does not come from their genetic inheritance, although it has a part of play. It comes from being in a Steiner school, I am almost certain of that. The freedom with which they grew up with, and the riot act reading I have done at home, a life of just enough sweet and sour, has given them a glow which is lovely. Oisin however has inherited by ability to say rude and mean things in the hope it is taken as funny. I can see why I was so unpopular though. It is meant to be teasing but it is not teasing. The two of us are really good and finding weak spots and twisting knives into them, but with a smile.

We got dressed up. I wore a good coat and a dress from Singapore, I carried a vintage handbag and my Fly boots. Tourquoise tights. You look good Oisin said, like an eccentric Chinese millionaire. I shot him a glare. I did look good. But also crazy. I said to him, hmmm.... maybe I can't wear this. I am 50 after all. Well, you don't look 50 and you look great. 

So, you know, that's my wardrobe sorted for the next few years. I get to wear the same wardrobe.

Especially if i lose this pesky weight.

We got to the store. It was empty when we got there and then buzzing by the time we left. I were shown one suit which looked good. But then was a little too neat. What happens if you put on the 15kg you lost I asked him? No, you need something a little looser. Then I saw another boy about his age being shown the same suit. Now it looked like a school uniform. Absolutely not, I told myself and started looking at other suits. What about this one, I asked. Charcoal grey, smooth but 100% wool. This is nice. It IS nice Oisin said and he tried it on and it was the perfect fit. 

We got a waistcoat and he got the trousers altered. It would take us an hour so we went to get Ghin's present. We ended up in a shopping mall looking for JD Sports. Clearly NO ONE HERE has heard of Covid. People are just not paying attention anymore about this. I don't even know how they are planning to control this any longer. It is a total joke. 

Of course the plus side is that I have not had a cold for an entire year, which is weird. Maybe you CAN control the virus. Maybe it is possible??

I think no breakfast or lunch for me as I cook my way through the day... well half of the day. I'm making Yorkshire pudding today. I need to get carrots and Brussel sprout and potatoes actually. I'll do that shopping early today.

The other thing that happened was we decided - well I decided - I am now going to dress nicely when I leave the house. I have a few good years left in me and I need to make the most of it, just as I made the most of when I was younger and wore bikinis and swimsuits and did lots of running and cycling. I enjoyed myself immensely. Also yesterday walking out I think I rather love my eccentric sartorial sense. I should embrace that completely. Get serious about loosing that weight. It is the new year after all.

I'm planning to shop, clean the house and then cook Christmas dinner. These few days are days for planning. For gathering things together. The Twelve Holy Nights. I can also work on Atlantis tomorrow to my heart's content. I have already exceeded the requirement for my writing. I am happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geylang sepaku Geylang

19.3.26 - 74 - Eulogy: What will survive of us is love

The Central Business District