15.2.26 - 50 - Forest School - Scoil Forais
Six years of Forest School, Six years of First Aid Kits
Taken by Oisín the tarp can be seen
On Sunday, a dry day, I took out the equipment and sorted it. It took me the best part of two hours, possibly more. I will do the same today after 12 pm. When there is less chance of raining. But after doing that, it is always good to do that, I had everything organised.
We did three very wet days with the Fostering Network and luckily, we had the tarps which let us have the cover. On the last day, we didn't walk because it was so wet, but we did do stuff with knives.
It has been so rewarding working with the children and I know we made a massive difference for so many of them. They laughed and were free and didn't have to 'learn' things. It is a weird thing really, that Forest School leaders are saying that children are being anxious and not co-operating. What does that mean? Are they actually trying to 'teach' children? After having done Forest School for more than 13 years now, I find that it is now becoming more school than forest.
Even the equipment in Muddy Faces is more 'educational'. As a teacher, I know that if you teach a child even one thing during a 2 hour period outdoors, you will be doing well. If they are trying to teach them for 2 hours... well, that would be mad.
Let's hope that's not the case.
However, we had a great three days. We walked and identified, and cooked over an open fire, and laughed and had a great time in the hammocks. It was so magical.
Always. The magic of forest school. Always. I took no photos because we were so busy all the time. All the time. But it was totally amazing. You've gotta take my word for it.
Comments