330 - 18.9.26 - 5: It's not normal


Chinese porridge

I want to say that I appreciate EVERYTHING about being able to come to this pool every day and swim my 10 laps... 

Queensway - old school shopping centre - with old school laksa, but at new school prices - $6.40!!!

The heat at this time of the day - it is not normal. I don't know when the rains will be here, but there's nothing we can do about it. Imagine wondering when it will rain in Singapore. I guess this is when the government discovers that all the Nuwater in the world is not going to save you.

I ran yesterday, did my sit ups, but not stretch because Jac arrived early and we had breakfast at the porridge place. Then we came back and I did some editing and writing. I also booked a concert and bought the Festival Pass to the Singapore Writers' Festival - and asked them if we could launch the Human Rights and Education package. I then spent far too much time on FB obsessing about the fall of Ed Sheeran - it isn't everyday that you see a truly anodyne person - the banality of evil - fall. The Epstein class is slowly beginning to crumble. People are saying that's enough now. Get out of our shit. We are pushing back. It is GREAT.

I then went for my swim and did Duolingo... I seem to be getting worse at Irish. Then I went to Queensway to buy a costume and they did not sell swimwear at all. So I think I'll have to go to Decathalon after all. Today I'm going to the Singapore Art Museum which has been relocated to Tanjong Pagar. I don't know if it will ever return to SJI. 

Queensway was weird. I don't know how people make a living selling the exact same thing next to each other. After that Oisin and I went to Ikea for dinner. It was very busy in Ikea's cafe. We chatted and laughed, as usual. We talked about how we both didn't really have any respect for people who had PhDs... but acknowledged that it was probably because we knew that it was no great mystery. Oisin said, do you think we feel this way about PhDs because we know so many people with PhDs? I said possibly. I said I would probably do a PhD on Waldorf education but I would never be allowed to do it because I don't have a grounding in it at a BA level, and he said, sure if you have lots of money you can get a PhD - which is also true.

We then talked about the value of a university education. I think that sometimes Oisin is just so surrounded by the fact that everyone goes to university or tertiary education and he doesn't realise that there is a value in going to uni. I said, sure, I could look at a painting and like it, but going to university means that I have been introduced to influences which I would not have had had I not gone. And he said that, true, you could have a reading list, but being in uni meant that someone would MAKE you do the work.

I can't tell if its going to rain or not. It seem very overcast. I should go for my run now.

But after the run, I'll do the exercises with Ma. Then I'll do some tidying and admin - and then I'll head out at 10 am to SAM to see Hui Theng. 

Yeah, I'm not obsessed with the weight thing anymore. I thing that obsession was really about having control over something in my life after Pa passed away. It all kinda left me after Ireland. Anyways... time to do some running. I'll swim later this evening. But I think that running two days on and one day off is the way to go and on that one day off, I swim a little more. That's perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geylang sepaku Geylang

19.3.26 - 74 - Eulogy: What will survive of us is love

The Central Business District