325 - 14.9.26 - 1: Day 1 of the running and swimming

Drawing in Lengkong Bahru

Ma always said that Hai Lam people worked in nonya kitchens. I didn't believe her.

What did I do yesterday? Well, yesterday after being laid out by jetlag - you'd think I'd have some sort of immunity by now - I did some planning and tidied the table. Then I went for a teh peng with Oisin and headed back here to have a nap. I was going to edit my short stories when Oisin put on Ocean's Eleven. So I watched that and began to fall asleep. I got up around midnight and stayed awake till 2 am. Then I went back to bed and got up at 6.30 am. I ran at 7 am. It was smoky and still. A weird kind of heat. After that we went out. I'll post that later.

The burning of the rainforest continues. Coupled with the utter destruction of the rainforest here and the usual heat, it makes Singapore an oppressive place to be. It's not that it is hot - it is actually not as hot as when there is direct sun coming down in a clear blue sky. I know this because when I went swimming today, my feet weren't burning on the pool tiles. It's a constant smell of woodsmoke. I feel like i'm in a forest school fire all the time - and in a way I sure am.

BUT it is raining now and who'd have ever thought that we would feel so grateful for the rain?

I did a list of things I would do over the course of the next few months and that was good. Just reminding myself what needs to happen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geylang sepaku Geylang

19.3.26 - 74 - Eulogy: What will survive of us is love

The Central Business District