A sky full of snow
| My Christmas present!! From Oisin. He got me set of four mugs from Connemara |
I look out from the kitchen window and i see... a sky full of snow. Black blue and heavy as curtains, about it slip and float down upon us from nothingness into nothingness.
Snow fell yesterday, silent and mysterious. The children could hardly be contained in all that snow. Out you go i told them. The entire Lower School was out in the playground running about.
I sit here in silence after a leisurely awakening at 8 am. Breakfast was as usual... egg and toast with salad and black coffee... stevia sweetened.
I almost never post food, but for some reason i felt compelled to.
As you can see it is not very spectacular food, but it is very delicious and after a good sleep and a leisurely awakening in a warm house while it freezes out side, it is something which i can be more than grateful for.
Everything here has a story. The plate i bought from Oxfam from the money the children in my class gave me for Christmas last year. The mug Oisin gave me. The egg came as a set of eggs which i used to make my latest gingerbread house. The lettuce my mother left a week ago before she went home to Singapore. The toast came from a loaf she had left behind too. There is pate beneath the lettuce. The fork and knife came from Oxfam, bought by my mom as she was setting up this house. All these things have love woven into the very fabric of them. In fact, i have realised, if we look very closely, everything is made of love - even if it came into the world through pain, the possibility of transforming it though love exists. I think we exist either because of love or give love an opportunity to manifest itself. How much better would it be if we all did believe that and acted on it. Perhaps that is what Jesus meant by, love one another as i have loved you. Or love thy neighbour.
The boys are still sleeping. In the house it is cold and silent as snow. Of course it is, it is winter.
I am thinking of going to do some work in Enniskillen - it is the Butterfly Conservation NI's workday. I cannot think of anything better to do than do something for local wildlife. The Butterfly people are a small group here. A small group of very committed and passionate people. But maybe the boys won't like that. I may have to drag them along. In winter, unlike the snow, everything feels heavy and burdensome.
It feels like thing are in the balance. One of my most favourite quotes is from the Badghavita. Vishnu tells Arjuna - Plunge into the heat of battle and keep your heart at the lotus feet of the lord.
I need to get moving on the housework. It is not back to housework for me. It's nice. Housework grounds me in the world. I have come to enjoy the quiet rhythms which the days bring, as we live in peace, allow me to bless this moment and say, thank you to the universe.

Comments