348 - 7.10.26 - Square Peg, Round Hole

It has been almost seven months since I made my return to Singapore. As time has gone on, I have discovered what it means to be a square peg in a round hole. All the values which I hold, the reasons I left Singapore in the first place and actually chose Peter to be my husband, all those values are absent here. They are not just gone, but no space is left to even entertain them. There are no more wild spaces. Everything had been taken over by concrete and even worse, the entire rainforest in Indonesia and the rainforests in Malaysia are disappearing, up in smoke.

Materialism has won the day. While there was a glimpse of it in Ireland, here it is screaming in your face. I hold no truck whatsoever with the materialists of this world and their insatiable need to always consume. I don't understand it. It's crazy.

In Ireland, being able to be with my tribe was manna. It fed my soul. Here the tribe is thin. There are few who would be able to understand where I come from. The few which still are here are wonderful, bit there is no movement so to speak. There is really really really no ability to create a counternarrative. It is as pervasive and choking as the haze which blankets this place. 

===================


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geylang sepaku Geylang

19.3.26 - 74 - Eulogy: What will survive of us is love

The Central Business District