Morning, Saturday

Leaving a message for Ma, in cyberspace. I am fine.

The boys are in England on a kendo tournament and I am alone at home. I will be doing lots of housework and getting things like more keys cut for Oisin and duplicates for myself. I will be recycling, tidying up and also going for a long walk. The car is doing very fine. It is quiet here. We are all good. I can't use the iPad because Ghin has taken the wire to England to him. So i can't charge the one I have at home. But I might buy a new on because for some reason the other iPad charger has gone missing. Very likely one of us charged the iPad somewhere and left it behind. We also need a new charge wire. The ones we have are too short. This means probably a trip to Tescos. Although Ghin has said he wishes there was a Sim Lim Tower in Singapore.

The weather has been very good. Rainy sometimes, but never cold. Last night I went out with Emma and Ruth to see a concert - it was the Firebird by Stravinsky. It was very very good. Later on Emma and I went out to look for some place to dance. We walked all the way to the Cathedral Quarter from where the BBC is but there was no dancing to be found. I think people don't dance any more. I think people don't see the point. There are now so many dating apps and meeting apps that you don't have to go to a club to meet someone.

I was driving so I did not drink through the night. I dropped Emma home at 2.30 am. It was a bit late, but it was nice going out and seeing Belfast on a warm October evening. I can't believe how warm it was. It was around 14 deg C. Perhaps it won't be that warm by the time you arrive here in less than three weeks. We can't wait!

I am really sorry I can't speak to you yet this weekend.

END MESSAGE

_________________________________________

I have given myself till 11.30 to wake up. It was so strange being in Belfast last night. It was strange because I am now at a time in my life where it is not uncommon to have friends who are quite ill or friends who are gone. Last night was a case in point. We walked around and talked a lot about the last time we were together. As a group. There were only two of us this time, much smaller, but we recalled a friend who had crossed the threshold. It was so sad. I think it is because of the suddenness as well. No one expected her to go. One minute she was there and the next minute she was gone. It was literally like that.

Not a moment in life could or should be taken for granted. Being on this planet is a real miracle. Never forget that we chose to come here. We chose to do this. We saw this beautiful blue sphere and it called us here. The mountains, the rivers, the lakes, the streams. When I read Irish mythology, or indeed any mythology, this love story with the Earth, this reverence and gratitude, this sorrow at the ability to suffer, it is all there. The Earth called to us, and so we came. And one day, too soon, all too soon, it will be over and we will return once again to the cosmos. We talk about aliens or supernatural beings, but it is us - we are the space travelers. If only we could slow down a little bit and stop and pause to understand this. Each moment is so precious, a gift from the stars. Make the most of it. Revel in the wonder of its beauty.

Right, time to get the day started.... LOTS of recycling to do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geylang sepaku Geylang

The Central Business District

19.3.26 - 74 - Eulogy: What will survive of us is love