Happy birthday Circus School
Yesterday, on the way to the Birthday Parade, Oisin asked me how did he end up being enrolled in Circus School. I said, well i was watching Vincent Cassels in Ocean 12 and he did all his own stunts. I then discovered that he had run away and joined the circus and i thought how cool is that. At the same time i was thinking of a sport which Oisin could do which was physical and artistic, without causing too many injuries - i was thinking of gym really, but that i was far too boring, i thought - so circus school was perfect. I also thought, imagine how he could impress the girls at parties. I was once lauded as a mom for thinking about this... anyway, that is how they ended up in circus school. Back then the wait list was not 1,300 children long. But i did have to wait for a bit. Now it is so sought after. Everyone wants to be in the circus in Belfast.
It was also quite funny yesterday when we were plating up the flan fling, i was talking to a friend, and we were saying what is this hipster shit? I said when i first heard about the definition of a hipster i was wha-? But what makes them a hipster? That is like all of my friends. Yeah, she said, hipster is like that is normal, that is like everyone i know. It is a bit shocking to suddenly discover that i belong to a category of people. Which have words like juggling, artisan, body odour, braless and tattooo attached to it. And that is somehow both outsider as well as now desireable but also comical.
So here is my hipster son. I was also saying to someone else yesterday Oisin's rebellion is he is going to run away to become a merchant banker and buy me a villa in Italy. That is my game plan.
What are the chances eh?
We hook up in Customs House Square and the boys are practising their diablo.
Well, not all the boys...
Getting ready for the parade.
Belfast on a GREAT DAY. Belfast must be the place to be right now - so many edgy incredible things are happening here in the freedom which only a post conflict, extremely creative environment can engender. Anything is possible here...
Even giant hand made pirate ships. Around fifteen years ago people were blowing each other to pieces - you cannot scare the people of Belfast. Dressing up in sequins and looking like Priscilla Queen of the Desert, small beer mate, small beer.
And they are off...
I have to say i am not very happy about the environmental cost of this flan fling. By the time 2,000 plates of foam were done, Customs House Square smelt like a 16 year old boy. And not in a good way.
Truly one of the more surreal things i have done in my life
The count down to the Guiness Book of World Record attempt and pie fight
Before
Before
Before
The MC - complete with granddaddy hipster facial hair
This is the nearest Jonny is going to get to shaving foam in years
And go!
Oh man...
I have to say that it was not my most favourite activity being doused in foam. I think it may have been a good idea to have had a pool nearby.
Getting carried away, cos what is a foam party if you can't?
So happy summer solstice everyone!
Comments