A live volcano, really?
I just put the rest of the trip in this posting, because we didn't really do very much else after day 2, which was mostly visiting a volcano.
Gunung Merapi is a still active volcano and it errupted the last time in 2006. People had to be evacuated and it was pretty scary. The starting of an erruption, the signs of erruptions, are called 'labour pains' by the man who we visited looking after the volcano. By looking after i mean monitoring of course. He does this by walking up to the volcano twice a week and poking it with a stick. Yes, he does. He also takes readings through this computer which monitors volcanic activity.

The Babadan observation post is high up in the mountains, and to get there we take the car, which goes through some stunning scenary. Ancient rice terraces that have been cut into the side of the mountains with clear water running down the side. The soil is fertile - soft, rich and dark, like crumbly chocolate cake, and everywhere food is growing. Food and tabacco. No wonder everyone smokes. They roll their tabacco leaves with corn husks and add flavour by putting in spices.
It is poor, but people are much better off here than in cities. In kolams and the paddy fields they catch fish and crabs and prawns. The rice and the veg feed them what they need and they weave walls from coconut leaves and timber comes from coconut tree trunks. The perfectly straight trunks need little work to convert them to upright logs for building.

By the time we got to the volcano, it was covered over by cloud. So we just had to content ourselves with the knowledge that it was there. But as you can see, the surrounding countryside is simply stunning.

Back at the hotel, we swam - all afternoon.


The pool is a multilevel affair with waterfalls, slides and fountains. It was like swimming in some lost civilisation. I don't go much for hotel pools, but this definitely the nicest i had ever seen. The water was salty, which was strange. I wondered if that was a substitute for the cholorine.

Pa played with the boys, which i had to just sit by the side... given my wimmin's condition, which unfortunately arrived the second last day, consigning me to dry land.



Pa takes a break. I'm not as young as i used to be is his breakthrough realisation.

There's the slide. It is housed in a 'ruined temple'. Whever designed the pool and did the landscaping really knew what they were about.


Here's Ghin with a frangipani which he took quite a shine to. In Bali young men and even old men put flowers in their hair - well on their ear. I am merely continuing that tradition. But is he a poser or what?

That's him as a Dr Who Weeping Angel.

More shots of the poolside.

That's the 'ruined temple' that housed the slide.

That's the loving couple taking a break.

So Ghin decides that he doesn't want his picture taken... but then

Changes his mind...

The baby pool

Oisin bat watches. This was incredible. Just outside our bedroom window we watched at least three species of bats hunt insects. Totally close up views of these incredible bats.


We leave today... and i thought i'd take some shots of the foyer.

Huge carp...

Peaceful surroundings...

Lotus blossoms...

Ma and Pa

Tiny frogs... so tiny you could step on them and squish them no bother. Ghin actually found them!

Can you see it?


Aren't they adorable?

Zzzzzzzz....

...and double Zzzzzzzzzz
I decided that today i was going to write a bit about what i've been doing, as well as do stuff from the holiday. This is taking lunch time at work, which means that i will not be running again. But i don't really care anymore. For some reason i'm very happy with my body, and i'm not going to torture myself into doing long meaningless runs. As long as i run everyday for half an hour i'm happy. And do my 60 sit ups. My knees also aren't what they used to be. I can feel them if i run anything more than half and hour i'll feel my knees.
Last night made some Opor Ayam for Linda who looked after Oisin yesterday. It was excellent. I had never made Opor Ayam, but that was certainly one of the best things i've ever made. I followed the recipe and then added more ketumbar and extra jeera.
Not having a computer working at home is more difficult than i thought it would be. I might get a laptop after all. Or make a decision about the PC we have at home. junk it or repair it. I feel the junking it option coming actually. I promise i'll get myself a laptop when i clean the house out. Which will incentivise the cleaning out a lot more.
Ma and Pa are enjoying the holiday shots. I have also told Ma that i'll print out a few and give it to her as a present.
I miss them so much.
Gunung Merapi is a still active volcano and it errupted the last time in 2006. People had to be evacuated and it was pretty scary. The starting of an erruption, the signs of erruptions, are called 'labour pains' by the man who we visited looking after the volcano. By looking after i mean monitoring of course. He does this by walking up to the volcano twice a week and poking it with a stick. Yes, he does. He also takes readings through this computer which monitors volcanic activity.
The Babadan observation post is high up in the mountains, and to get there we take the car, which goes through some stunning scenary. Ancient rice terraces that have been cut into the side of the mountains with clear water running down the side. The soil is fertile - soft, rich and dark, like crumbly chocolate cake, and everywhere food is growing. Food and tabacco. No wonder everyone smokes. They roll their tabacco leaves with corn husks and add flavour by putting in spices.
It is poor, but people are much better off here than in cities. In kolams and the paddy fields they catch fish and crabs and prawns. The rice and the veg feed them what they need and they weave walls from coconut leaves and timber comes from coconut tree trunks. The perfectly straight trunks need little work to convert them to upright logs for building.
By the time we got to the volcano, it was covered over by cloud. So we just had to content ourselves with the knowledge that it was there. But as you can see, the surrounding countryside is simply stunning.
Back at the hotel, we swam - all afternoon.
The pool is a multilevel affair with waterfalls, slides and fountains. It was like swimming in some lost civilisation. I don't go much for hotel pools, but this definitely the nicest i had ever seen. The water was salty, which was strange. I wondered if that was a substitute for the cholorine.
Pa played with the boys, which i had to just sit by the side... given my wimmin's condition, which unfortunately arrived the second last day, consigning me to dry land.
Pa takes a break. I'm not as young as i used to be is his breakthrough realisation.
There's the slide. It is housed in a 'ruined temple'. Whever designed the pool and did the landscaping really knew what they were about.
Here's Ghin with a frangipani which he took quite a shine to. In Bali young men and even old men put flowers in their hair - well on their ear. I am merely continuing that tradition. But is he a poser or what?
That's him as a Dr Who Weeping Angel.
More shots of the poolside.
That's the 'ruined temple' that housed the slide.
That's the loving couple taking a break.
So Ghin decides that he doesn't want his picture taken... but then
Changes his mind...
The baby pool
Oisin bat watches. This was incredible. Just outside our bedroom window we watched at least three species of bats hunt insects. Totally close up views of these incredible bats.
We leave today... and i thought i'd take some shots of the foyer.
Huge carp...
Peaceful surroundings...
Lotus blossoms...
Ma and Pa
Tiny frogs... so tiny you could step on them and squish them no bother. Ghin actually found them!
Can you see it?
Aren't they adorable?
Zzzzzzzz....
...and double Zzzzzzzzzz
I decided that today i was going to write a bit about what i've been doing, as well as do stuff from the holiday. This is taking lunch time at work, which means that i will not be running again. But i don't really care anymore. For some reason i'm very happy with my body, and i'm not going to torture myself into doing long meaningless runs. As long as i run everyday for half an hour i'm happy. And do my 60 sit ups. My knees also aren't what they used to be. I can feel them if i run anything more than half and hour i'll feel my knees.
Last night made some Opor Ayam for Linda who looked after Oisin yesterday. It was excellent. I had never made Opor Ayam, but that was certainly one of the best things i've ever made. I followed the recipe and then added more ketumbar and extra jeera.
Not having a computer working at home is more difficult than i thought it would be. I might get a laptop after all. Or make a decision about the PC we have at home. junk it or repair it. I feel the junking it option coming actually. I promise i'll get myself a laptop when i clean the house out. Which will incentivise the cleaning out a lot more.
Ma and Pa are enjoying the holiday shots. I have also told Ma that i'll print out a few and give it to her as a present.
I miss them so much.
Comments