Holidays become me

I recently found out I look absolutely hideous when I don't take my own photo.

Anyway... here are three good ones of me!

But I am writing from Bintan, and I told my sons this afternoon this was the first time, after the hike, that  no longer felt sleepy or the need to sleep.

For the first time in ages, I feel normal. Lots of exercise, very strenuous, with lots of R&R in between has been the magical recipe. Also no booze, good food and no stress. I must really not let myself become so run down and exhausted next year. Absolutely critical.


My routine in Singapore now is run in the morning, have breakfast, swim mid morning and then either visit friends post lunch or sleep. Although it appears I no longer need to sleep in the afternoon. However, I believe that this sleep bit will be replaced by doing my research. Yes, it is almost a month before school restarts. So, it has been three weeks now since school closed up. Maybe even four!

Being out here has made me think a few things. Firstly, that while I am A LOT fitter than last year, I am not as fit as I thought I was. I noticed that if I am not going at my pace especially over strenuous bursts, my heart sort of has to work extra hard and then, this is the kicker, when the strenuous burst is over, my heart as it is slowing down, I tell you can feel all this! begins pumping blood to my head or not doing that and I get really light headed. I absolutely MUST exercise at my own pace. If I do it at a faster pace I really just can't cope. 

So this is the first thing - I have decided to include Stormont Hill and some fartlek in my running. But I certainly much much fitter. I can really feel that.


Just indulge me
The second thing is I would really like to do something new - I am thinking either continuing with my horseriding or taking up yoga. Or I could do both. I think yoga is more urgent though. I need to be more flexible. So, i think yoga. And then when March comes adding horseriding.

Why horseriding, because I love it.  

We leave Mutiara tomorrow. I feel so sad to leave here. I have begun to form friendships and make connections. It seems so soon. It has also been so good for my soul. Just the peace and quiet and the no distractions and the relaxation. Swimming three times a day, sweating it out on a trail or on a bike in the heat. It has been just incredible. Today on the walk I sweated buckets. It was like I had sweated the last bits of exhaustion from me. I came back from it and went straight into the sea and then had a cold shower using water from the well. Instead of falling straight to sleep like I thought I would, I ended up blogging instead. I should have stayed here another week to fully recover. Perhaps I will next year. Just myself. Send the boys home and spend another four days here.

My calves are like pincushions. I have had every biting insect from Scotland to Indonesia on them. Mosquitoes and horseflies just go straight through lycra I have discovered. Nothing stops them from getting to your blood.

Well, it is official. Holidays are good for me. I love working hard, but I also love the playing hard bit. And being here on Bintan, on this utterly magical island, well, what excuse do I have? None whatsoever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geylang sepaku Geylang

The Central Business District

19.3.26 - 74 - Eulogy: What will survive of us is love